Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Jacksonville?
In many ways, smart tools like security cameras and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We have the ability to get updates when someone comes up our front porch, and we can have video clips delivered to us when dubious behavior is found. Having devices we are able to interact with through the internet warns us of potential threats instantly. But there is one primary drawback. The quick access that keeps us connected is also opening a door online invasions.
While you shouldn’t lose sleep agonizing over smart home hacking in Jacksonville, you ought to be aware of the potential safety issue and take steps to circumvent it.
Ways To Block Smart Home Hacking
Almost anything may be linked to the internet nowadays - your home defense devices, light bulbs, and even your range. The issue is that this produces more pathways for hackers to sneak into your network. That doesn't mean you have to avoid wireless home defense systems or other smart components. Instead, consider these suggestions and do your part to keep prowlers away from your network.
- Protect with strong passwords: This is a necessity for all accounts, and that includes your home’s wireless network. Use uppercase and lowercase and an assortment of letters, numbers, and acceptable special characters. Avoid dates of birth, full words, or other things hackers could easily determine. A password generator will give you something completely random and a password manager can help you track your many accounts and passwords.
- Avoid default settings: When hooking up that new router, chances are it will come with a standard password to facilitate the setup. Change it. Hackers will know these default passwords as well. Establishing your wireless network and router properly from day one will go a long way to keeping you protected.
- Create more than one network: Why have your smart fridge, your security devices, and your work laptop on one network? The majority of routers will let you create a separate guest network. Make use of it and shield personal information found on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for business settings. They can also be integrated with your home network. Firewalls can pay close attention to the traffic on your network and block suspicious activity. You might opt for a router that offers a built-in firewall.
- Utilize the latest encryption settings and security protocols: If you own a newer router, you may have the chance to use WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You ought to look for home security components that use 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Be certain firmware and software is up-to-date: Keep your software and firmware at the latest levels for all components, which includes your integrated camera surveillance. In some cases, these updates will address various susceptibilities and improve your network security.
Be Wary of Cheap Smart Home Equipment In Jacksonville
Respected brands like ADT and Amazon have their status to uphold and will quickly make an effort to remedy a security bug in their devices. Other knock-off brands may not be quite as diligent. Buying your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and additional items from one source like ADT makes sense. And having all of your equipment hooked up simultaneously will help ensure seamless configuration, security, and performance. It’s also good to know that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, utilizes two-way encryption when engaging with with your connected equipment.
Design Your Own Jacksonville Wireless Home Security Package
As you now have more knowledge on how to keep your home network shielded from hackers, it’s time to get started on your own smart home security system in Jacksonville. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems will help you find the ideal package for your family. Call (904) 297-5779 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.